Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Rest In Peace, John Puruntong

Approximately 1 hour ago I read one of my friend’s status in Facebook that the Philippines’ King of Comedy passed away. I was surprised, because a couple of days ago I just read from the news that his condition is improving.  I didn’t believe it at first since there wasn’t any news about it. Then came the tweets from famous celebrities, still, I refused to believe. After a few minutes, ABS-CBN confirmed that Dolphy (Real name: Rodolfo Vera Quizon Sr.) passed away. I felt sadness came over me.

A few weeks back I told my fiancé that I want to write my experience in working with him for this blog. Yes, I had the rare opportunity of being part of the sitcom John en Marsha. If my memory serves me right, I was about 6- 8 years old. My aunt helped me to appear in that famous show. I had a very small role then. I was the child of Yoyoy Martirez and Aurora Sevilla. I can’t recall the story line, but I remember a few details, including the short talk I had with him.

In between the take, I can still vividly remember the King of Comedy called me and asked me to sit on his lap. He smiled and asked me how I was. I was so shy that all I can do was smile. After that, he asked where my mother was. I told him I was with my dad. Then he put me down and I walked away. For one whole day I was there, watching him act together with Nida Blanca, Matutina, Dely Atay Atayan, Atong Redillas and other casts of the show. Since I was a kid then I didn’t really appreciate the whole experience. All I know was that I have to be there and be an “extra” for the day.

While growing up I didn’t want anyone to know that I appeared in that show. I felt so embarrassed each time my parents would tell our relatives in Batangas that I appeared on that show. My fiancé can even attest to this. When I told him about this I asked him to promise me that he wouldn’t tell anyone about it- I was 18 back then when I told him my “secret”. Now that I am much older and know how huge he is in the showbiz industry, I am proud to say that I worked as an “extra” for him. I wish I can have a copy of that episode so I can watch it again. There’s nothing to be embarrassed about this whole experience. It’s a privilege.

I am a very lucky girl. I had the chance to work with the King of Comedy. Even if I had a very little role for that episode I experienced how it is to talk to him and sit on his lap. It was a pleasant experience. He was nice and friendly. He made an effort to make me feel his presence. He may not know me, he might not even remember that I’ve worked with him but I do. I will. Forever.


Rest in Peace, Dolphy, John Puruntong. 

Rodolfo Vera Quizon, Sr.(July 25, 1928 – July 10, 2012)
*credit to Wikipedia for this photo

No comments:

Post a Comment